Dum, dum, dum…
Well, the time has finally come for us to make a choice.
We’ve had 15 entries from some really fantastic businesses, for our Business Booster competition.
And next Tuesday our Managing Director Nick Miller will be sitting down with a judging panel, which will include respected local businesswoman Maureen Foers, to make the difficult choice of who to pick.
Our entries include everyone from an industrial electrical firm to an artisan chocolate manufacturer, a party caravan company, a marquee provider and a digital marketing firm.
A huge thank you to all of the businesses that have taken the time to enter. We’re hoping they can make it to our next masterclass later this month, where we’ll be celebrating everyone who’s had a go – and announcing which two entrants will each win a support package worth £22,500.
Nick said: “I’m really torn between feeling incredibly excited to finally celebrate our winners, and wishing we could give a prize to everyone.
“I’ve had a sneaky look at the entries and there are some really fantastic businesses represented. The diversity among those that have put their names forward really shows what a breadth of commercial talent and inspirational ideas exists within our city and wider region.”
Maureen said: “I’ve judged competitions like this many times and it always strikes me that, really, everyone who enters is a winner, because they’ve taken the trouble to put their business forward and promote what they do to a new audience.
“Taking home the prize at the end of it is only one of the potential benefits of having a go at competitions – the reflection involved in the process is, I think, the real positive, because it makes you consider your business as others see it, identify its strong points and maybe also pick out some aspects that you want to change for the better.”
A reminder of what’s involved
The Business Booster competition is the highlight of our James Legal – The Business 2017 campaign, which we kicked off earlier this year as our way of helping local businesses to seize the opportunity that Hull, City of Culture 2017 represents. Together with our campaign partners, we are offering a package of business support worth £45,000, to be split equally between our two winners, who will be surrounded by a cushion of assistance that will help them take their growth to the next level. This help includes everything from funding support to website development, marketing, accountancy, IT and, of course, legal help from us.
Here’s a summary of exactly what the two chosen businesses will receive:
- Computanet: A network and system audit and helpdesk support for one year, up to a value of £4,000, for the overall winner; and a network and system audit and strategic system planning, worth up to £1,000, for the runner up
- Elliott’s: A full hygiene review and improvements, and ongoing strategy, worth up to £1,000 for each winner
- Sales Lead Genie: A strategic sales and marketing review, and one day of targeted B2B telemarketing with research findings, presented as a report, worth £1,000, for each winner
- Arrival Design: A £1,500 voucher to be used towards website development, design works, email marketing or SEO, provided by Arrival Design
- 360 Accountants: Accountancy support worth up to £1,000 for the overall winner and an online accounts software annual subscription of £500 for the second placed business, from 360 Accountant
- Dare Greatly leadership development: Two one-day management alignment workshops worth £1,500, focusing on business goal setting via a review of management personalities, relationships and structures
- The Marketplace: A full business diagnostic worth £1,900, looking at critical areas including skills, supply chain, procurement and operations, from The Marketplace
- By Tracy Fletcher Limited: A PR & Marketing audit and communications strategy worth £1,000
- The Business Culture Hull: Free annual membership of this popular networking group, worth £300
- Peacock Finance: An initial funding audit and guidance, followed by monthly reviews and application support, worth £3,000
- Fifty Squid Video: A corporate video worth £100
- Sirius: Business mentoring sessions to the value of £500
- And our own contribution, of course: a year’s free legal support worth £5,000, including a review and re-write of policies and contracts, and access to our business legal advice service
- Hendersons Insurance Brokers: Fee-free insurance for the overall winner, and 50 per cent off fees for the second winner, together worth over £2,000.
- A&S Design Associates: A brand review and guidelines, up to a value of £1,000, to each of the two winners – to help them with developing their company marketing materials.
- James Financial: Basic pension scheme set up and key man cover (protecting a business against the impact of losing vital expertise through the death or serious illness of key players in their business) up to a total value of £1,000 for each of the two winning entrants.
And, of course, we’re offering a year’s free legal support worth £5,000, including a review and re-write of policies and contracts, and unlimited access to our business legal advice service.
A huge thank you to our partner organisations for making these amazing competition prizes possible.
James Legal – The Business 2017 also features a series of quarterly masterclasses. The next one, featuring a keynote presentation by internationally-renowned clinical hypnotherapist Sheila Granger, is called Mind Over Matter and will take place at the Hallmark Hotel, North Ferriby, on Wednesday, 27 September, from 9.30am until 12.30pm. It will also feature open networking and the opportunity to seek help and advice from our campaign partners. We still have a few tickets left so if you haven’t booked yours yet, you can do so here.