It’s almost time…26-09-2017
Well, it’s almost time to reveal the winners of our Business Booster competition.
Our commercial litigator Simon Young joined Maureen Foers OBE on Friday to choose the two stand-out businesses that will share the £45,000 prize fund.
It was a tough job but they were unanimous in their choice of the winners, who will be announced at our final James Legal – the Business 2017 masterclass of this year, tomorrow.
“It was tough to choose,” said Maureen.
“Because we had a very diverse set of entries, from businesses that are all very good in different ways.
“We had some that want to develop their reach locally, and others with international aspirations, but it’s encouraging that both Simon and I reached the same conclusion independently, regarding our ultimate winners.
“We’ve chosen two businesses which – in some respects – are at opposite ends of the spectrum, who we believe will both benefit from the package of support on offer in different ways.”
And, above all, the quality of entries has reaffirmed our belief in the entrepreneurial talent and drive that exists in Hull and our wider region.
Simon added: “Looking through the entries really made us realise how many people in our local area have great ideas and are developing so many different, exciting entrepreneurial projects.”
Maureen agreed: “I’ve always known that Hull is THE enterprising city, but looking through these entries at what so many people have built out of nothing has been very impressive indeed.”
And she had an encouraging message to all our entrants, whether they have won or not: “Carry on and never give in,” she said.
“You’re doing great, innovative things, and the fact you’ve taken the time to enter a competition like this in order to tell others about your work, shows that you have the drive and determination to succeed over your competitors.
“This was a really competitive field and we had 15 fantastic businesses before us, any one of which would have been deserving winners.”
Those entries include everyone from an industrial electrical firm to an artisan chocolate manufacturer, a party caravan company, a marquee provider and a digital marketing firm.
Maureen will be announcing our winners alongside our director, solicitor and head of property Kelly Bannister, at Wednesday’s masterclass.
We’d like to say a huge ‘thank you’ to everyone who took the time to enter the competition, and we hope you’ll be able to make it to this week’s event, to see the winners recognised.
The masterclass, featuring a keynote presentation by internationally-renowned clinical hypnotherapist Sheila Granger, is called Mind Over Matter. It is taking place at the Hallmark Hotel, North Ferriby, from 9.30am to 12.30pm on Wednesday and there are a limited number of tickets left, which can be booked here.
The Business Booster – a reminder
The Business Booster competition is the highlight of our James Legal – The Business 2017 campaign, which we kicked off earlier this year as our way of helping local businesses to seize the opportunity that Hull, City of Culture 2017 represents. Together with our campaign partners, we are offering a package of business support worth £45,000, to be split equally between our two winners, who will be surrounded by a cushion of assistance that will help them take their growth to the next level. This help includes everything from funding support to website development, marketing, accountancy, IT and, of course, legal help from us.
Here’s a summary of exactly what the two chosen businesses will receive:
- Computanet: A network and system audit and helpdesk support for one year, up to a value of £4,000, for the overall winner; and a network and system audit and strategic system planning, worth up to £1,000, for the runner up
- Elliott’s: A full hygiene review and improvements, and ongoing strategy, worth up to £1,000 for each winner
- Sales Lead Genie: A strategic sales and marketing review, and one day of targeted B2B telemarketing with research findings, presented as a report, worth £1,000, for each winner
- Arrival Design: A £1,500 voucher to be used towards website development, design works, email marketing or SEO, provided by Arrival Design
- 360 Accountants: Accountancy support worth up to £1,000 for the overall winner and an online accounts software annual subscription of £500 for the second placed business, from 360 Accountants
- Dare Greatly leadership development: Two one-day management alignment workshops worth £1,500, focusing on business goal setting via a review of management personalities, relationships and structures
- The Marketplace: A full business diagnostic worth £1,900, looking at critical areas including skills, supply chain, procurement and operations, from The Marketplace
- By Tracy Fletcher Limited: A PR & Marketing audit and communications strategy worth £1,000
- The Business Culture Hull: Free annual membership of this popular networking group, worth £300
- Peacock Finance: An initial funding audit and guidance, followed by monthly reviews and application support, worth £3,000
- Fifty Squid Video: A corporate video worth £100
- Sirius: Business mentoring sessions to the value of £500
- Hendersons Insurance Brokers: Fee-free insurance for the overall winner, and 50 per cent off fees for the second winner, together worth over £2,000
- A&S Design Associates: A brand review and guidelines, up to a value of £1,000, to each of the two winners – to help them with developing their company marketing materials
- James Financial: Basic pension scheme set up and key man cover (protecting a business against the impact of losing vital expertise through the death or serious illness of key players in their business) up to a total value of £1,000 for each of the two winning entrants
- And, of course, we’re offering a year’s free legal support worth £5,000, including a review and re-write of policies and contracts, and unlimited access to our business legal advice service.
A huge thank you to our partner organisations for making these amazing competition prizes possible.