Proud to Launch our 2017-Inspired Business Campaign16-02-2017
2017 marks an important sea change for Hull.
Not only will Hull City of Culture 2017 put it on the map as a centre of artistic flair, this landmark event is already changing perceptions of Hull internationally, as a place to invest and do business.
This is why we’ve decided the time is right to launch our James Legal – The Business 2017 initiative. It comprises of a free quarterly masterclass series, a stand out SME competition called ‘The Business Booster’ with a total prize fund of over £30,000, and much more.
Our Managing Director Nick Miller said of the campaign: “James Legal is Hull through and through. We are bursting with pride and passion for our city and surrounding region.
“We also believe in giving back and supporting our local community. We’ve seen a wealth of new opportunities arising for businesses as a knock-on effect of Hull City of Culture 2017, therefore collaborating with trusted partners to create this catalyst for growth seemed an appropriate focus for this year and beyond.”
Our campaign has the backing of a list of respected partners, including the Department of International Trade (DIT); the Women’s Enterprise in the Humber group for female entrepreneurs; The Marketplace, which supports businesses in saving money, reducing costs and identifying and winning new business; the Sirius business advice organisation; the Hull & Humber Chamber of Commerce, Yorkshire Bank and the Humber Local Enterprise Partnership’s Growth Hub, which provides free advisor support and business support tools, access to grants and information via its website.
A number of successful local businesses are also involved. And all of these partners have given incredible generosity of time and resource – all as determined as we are to help Hull businesses reach their potential.
A prize worth having
‘James Legal – The Business 2017’ includes a competition aimed at recognising and supporting outstanding local businesses, called ‘The Business Booster’. It is open to stand out small and medium sized businesses (SMEs) from across Yorkshire & the Humber and offers a chance for two companies to each win a business support package worth over £15,000. The prizes include:
- A year’s free legal support worth £5,000 from James Legal, including a review and re-write of policies and contracts, and access to our business legal advice service
- A £1,500 voucher to be used towards website development, design works, email marketing or SEO, provided by Arrival Design
- Accountancy support worth up to £1,000 for the overall winner and an online accounts software annual subscription of £500 for the second placed business, from 360 Accountants
- Two one-day management alignment workshops worth £1,500, focusing on business goal setting via a review of management personalities, relationships and structures, from leadership development company Dare Greatly
- A full business diagnostic worth £1,900, looking at critical areas including skills, supply chain, procurement and operations, from The Marketplace
- A PR & Marketing audit and communications strategy worth £1,000 from By Tracy Fletcher Limited
- Free annual membership of The Business Culture Hull business networking group, worth £300
- An initial funding audit and guidance, followed by monthly reviews and application support, worth £3,000, provided by Peacock Finance
- A corporate video worth £100, from Fifty Squid video
- Business mentoring sessions to the value of £500 from Sirius.
Our closing date for applications is 31 July 2017. The winners will be chosen in September from a panel of judges including Nick Miller and Maureen Foers OBE, Owner of Durban Limited and Sponsor of Women’s Enterprise in the Humber.
Mastery in the making
We are also offering a series of free masterclasses, led by members of the James Legal team and some of our partners. The first one will take place on Tuesday, 28 March at the Holiday Inn Hotel, Hull Marina. It will feature a keynote presentation by Stephan Stahl, International Trade Adviser for Yorkshire & the Humber with the Department of International Trade (DIT). The session is titled ‘International Trade Secrets for Business’. Accompanied by members of his DIT team, Stephan will be providing a unique insight into the scale of the international opportunity facing Hull businesses, as well as expert hints and tips on where they can find the right overseas investment and trading relationships. Nick will also talk about James Legal – The Business 2017 and there will be break-out opportunities for attending businesses to seek further guidance from our campaign partners. For more detail about this free event or to book a place, click here.
A new era
Maureen said: “In many senses, businesses in Yorkshire & The Humber have had it tough in recent decades, having to battle against jaded national and international perceptions of what our region is all about.
“The fact that they have flourished despite this added weight is testament to the tremendous potential that exists here. Now that the tide is finally turning thanks to Hull City of Culture 2017, I’m waiting with baited breath to see what stellar successes will come out of our city region going forwards.
“I commend James Legal on the proactive role it is taking in supporting this business transformation process, and our campaign partners for getting behind the initiative and seizing this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make a real and lasting difference that will benefit everyone.”